Friday, November 16, 2007

Oh Oprah...

So, I meant to blog about this earlier, but I had to stop laughing first.

Oh Oprah.

She's picked her latest "pick" and any and all credibility she may have had in the literary world has fallen off a cliff and down down DOWN. She picked Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth.

Are you kidding me??? Ken Follett?

Now, having worked in a bookstore for five years, I can reasonably say that I know books. And I know Ken Follett's books. And if ANYONE is going to say that it's a worthy pick, to be up there with her others - Steinbeck, Tolstoy, Garcia Marquez, Faulkner, and even those like Buck, Paton, Eugenides, etc, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

Oh Oprah. I think you've gotten bored and are just picking books off the bestseller list. Which doesn't really mean anything. It means that any publisher with enough balls and money can throw their pet author up on the bestseller list.

Oh Oprah. Are you turning into Heather? Are you picking from books that everyone else is reading, instead of finding your own gems? Although, granted, a lot of your picks were gems before you "picked" them.

I hate "picks". I think it's stupid. I hate that it's the only way that people will read a good book...or in some cases, another not so good book.

What's next? The DaVinci Code?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home