Friday, March 30, 2007

Man cannot live on bread alone...

...sometimes he needs books.

I know I haven't written in this blog in the past while, I've been concentrating on my LJ, but I don't think anyone reads this anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Whilst reading Melrose's blog, I decided to copy her. I will list my Top 5/10/15 books that I could not be without, should I end up on a deserted island...with Melrose probably. :P I put "5/10/15" because we'll see how many I end up with.

In no particular order:

1. The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
Really. I could not LIVE without at least ONE copy/edition of LOTR. I currently have seven editions, and I have to slap myself when I want to buy another. I will though. :) (I just did!)

2. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
There's something about Gatsby and Daisy that I find fascinating. It was one of the few books that I was forced to read in school that I enjoyed. I don't re-read it very often, but every now and then I need that green light at the end of the dock.

3. Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
I love Anne. No, let me put that differently. I LOVE Anne. And that's really all I need to say.

4. Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Because it was one of the first sci-fi/fantasy/allegorical series I ever read, and really, it is a beautiful story. Plus, reading it always feels like "coming home" to me.

5. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
What young girl has NOT read Little Women? Who didn't identify with one of the girls? I was Jo (duh). Something about these period books that seem so...romantic (not in the lovey-dovey sort of way). What Katy Did, Eight Cousins, etc. All the same genre. You don't get little girl literature like that anymore!

And now, saying all of this, I want to begin to catalogue my books...my library. I could use something like Library Thing, or I could just use Excel and put it all in a spreadsheet, or I could get fancy and take digital pics of each book and make a website, or just put it in my computer or something. The possibilities are endless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home